S

Funwithnancy

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, May 16, 2011

This week is going to be all about My friend Amber's Baby Shower.
I have been a very busy little bee and I promised I would share all of my projects. I couldn't post any of them until after the shower because Amber follows my blog (love you Amber :) )
Today I'm going to share the cream cheese mint recipe and a few photo's.

This is the worlds easiest recipe to make, but if you've never made these before you will appreciate a few tips.
All you need is 3 ingredients, plus color if you want.

 One 8 oz cream cheese (I use the full fat one and have never tried this with light or fat free) at room temperature
2 lbs sifted powder sugar
1/16th teaspoonful of spearmint oil (you can use any flavor you want). I get this at Hobby Lobby in the candy section and it can be any brand but make sure it's oil and not extract.

 How do you get 1/16th of a teaspoonful? Just fill the 1/8th teaspoonful measuring spoon half full.
 This stuff is super strong and the flavor develops even stronger during the next 24 to 48 hours.
Mix in your food coloring of choice (and it can be any kind, gel, drops, paste, etc) into the cream cheese. Don't try to guess the color because you are anticipating that the powder sugar will dilute out the color. It doesn't. The color you see in the cream cheese is the color you'll end up with.
 Mix in the flavored oil, and start adding the powder sugar.
At the beginning you can use a mixing spoon but after about 1 lb of powder sugar you will need to start using your hands. Turn the mixture out onto a surface dusted with powder sugar and kneed until it is a nice smooth mixture.
I cut mine into 4 sections, wrap in plastic wrap and pop into the refrigerator for a few hours. I like to make it the night before (or even several days before). The mixture needs to be cold or you won't be able to roll it out.
Pinch a piece and roll it into a ball. I like to roll mine into little logs first, then pinch off a piece to roll. It seems to go faster this way.
Roll into uniform balls (you will have to decide the size based on your rubber mold) toss into granulated sugar to coat
Press into rubber molds. I purchased a baby shower set on-line ( just google rubber or silicone candy molds) press, and pop out onto waxed paper. I like to use a cookie rack.
This recipe will make approximately 140 mints
I placed them on a silver tray lined with a doilie.
They look so pretty on the cake table and taste so yummy!
The best thing about these mints is that you can make them ahead of time. I have made them as much as 1 month in advance and frozen them. If you refrigerate or freeze place wax paper between each layer. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight then keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Enjoy! We'll chat about the cake tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. You are so special to me!!! Thank you so much for everything!!! These Cream Cheese Mints are incredible...nom, nom, nom!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete