S

Funwithnancy

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Amber's Cake

This beautiful lady is one of my dearest friends Amber. Amber is not only beautiful on the outside, but she is beautiful on the inside and has the heart of an angel. When we (Jana another wonderful lady that I am blessed to have in my life) found out Amber was pregnant we immediately started planning her baby shower.


This is the cake I made for her.




It's an animated version of her nursery. The bedding has stripes & circles with this color combination. Except I'm pretty sure I made the green a little too "Kelly green". I was working off a web page, give me a break sista!
Little elephants graced the cake.  Here is a small tutorial on how to make this lil guy. You can see some spare parts in the back ground.


Make a ball (size depends on how big you need your elephant to be), then elongate one end of the ball by rolling your finger over it until your ball now looks like this.

 make some linear creases on this piece. As you can tell this is now the elephants head and trunk.
turn the head on its end and poke 2 holes in the end of the trunk. Now this lil guy can breath!

Make another ball slightly larger than the one you made for the head and poke a broken tooth pick into it. This is now his body, and the tooth pick will support his head. Make sure your tooth pick is not long enough to poke all the way through the head.

Place the head on top of the tooth pick. I like to brush every body part that is being attached with a little water. It helps glue the pieces together.
Now roll out 4 pieces of fondant for arms and legs. Make the legs just a tad bit longer. Using a butter knife crimp the ends to make feet and hands then use the back of a tooth pick and indent little toes & fingers.
I like to make a hole where each arm and leg will attach to the body. Slightly roll the appendage end so that it fits into the hole. Brush the inside of the hole with a little water, and attach the appendage.

Now poke a hole on each side of his head in preparation for his ears
I use the end of a decorating tube but any small circle will do. If you want the inside of the ears to have a different color, repeat this step with the desired color and place it on top of the grey part. Just off set it slightly. Pinch the end of the circle to make an ear.
Attach to the hole in the head with a small amount of water. Attach his tail, cut 2 very small white dots for his eyes. Using a tooth pick dip it into black food coloring (I use Wilton paste found easily at Hobby Lobby or Micheal's) and dot him some eyes.
He's done!
Next I made a little baby boy who feel asleep in his elephant PJ's
 (that I am sure someone like his Aunt Nancy bought for him!)

I love his butt! So cute!

This was the first time I made one of these babies and I didn't take pictures of the whole process because I really expected it would take me several tries, but It came out my first time! So I didn't tempt fate by trying to remake him.
If enough people twist my arms, I will make a tutorial on it.

Here he is sleeping with his pacifier in his mouth on his blanket with toy elephant and his slippers on the side.
Don't you just want to eat him up? Literally !
The cake was white but I tinted it blue with chocolate chips so it looked like brown polka dots.
I didn't get a picture of that! Sorry :(


5 comments:

  1. The cake is adorable Nancy! Too cute to eat! I love the elephant and the sleeping baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute cake, great job Nancy! Congrats to your friend Amber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic job you did on the cake. The elephants and the baby are adorable. You are one talented chick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute cake, I love baby showers!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are truly amazing Nancy! Very talented and thoughtful indeed! I love the cakes, goodies and crafts you make. :-)

    ~ Tina
    Park Avenue Chihuahua

    ReplyDelete